Information Technology Services – Dr. Baz Abouelenein, Chief Information Officer
Last Revised: 08/14/19
Title: Identity Management Policy
Applicable: ITS Staff
Contacts: IT Help Center x4357
Background: Wofford College strives to use secure digital credentials for applicants, students, alumni, faculty, staff, and retirees. Although each user is given a unique digital credential for authentication, there are different types of authorizations associated with each user’s role. Wofford College needs a policy to define expectations for digital authentication and authorizations.
Policy: Wofford College will maintain a secure identity management system for digital identities. This will include secure mechanisms for digital authentication and authorizations.
- Wofford College will strive to provide a secure single sign-on environment for most campus services. More secure business transactions may require additional security techniques such as two-factor authentication.
- Wofford College will provide a single digital identity to applicants, students, alumni, faculty, staff, and retirees. The services made available to an individual may change based on their role with the college.
- All users must agree to abide by the Policy on the Responsible and Ethical Use of Wofford College Technology Resources.
- Users are required to change their password when they first use their account.
- Strong passwords are required (at least 8 characters; no dictionary words; no repetitive or sequential characters, "Wofford", or "Terrier".)
- Faculty and staff must change their passwords every six months.
- With the exception of retirement, staff members and faculty who separate from the college lose their user account immediately.
- The Director of Human Resources may approve requests to forward a terminated staff member's email to a supervisor. The Director of Human Resources may also approve a supervisor's request to transfer data from a terminated staff member's account.
- Any exceptions to this policy must be approved by the Chief Information Officer.